How does the news environment impact viewer decision making?
Case Study: The Decision Power of News
We explored the impact of news programming on an audience’s mindset and uncovered that news is a prime space for advertisers – as viewers are more alert and more personally invested in news content.
Areas of Focus
- Understanding how the news shape opinions on issues: political, health, consumer, technology, science, etc.
- Discovering how the news induces people to act, whether it is to buy a particular product, get a flu vaccine, winterize their vehicle, etc.
- Showing the different methods people use to watch the news, and how that has an impact on decision-making.
- To dive deeper and gain insights on what the personal, connected and action-oriented mindset means for products that are mentioned and/or advertised during the news.
- Phase 1: Qual Deep Dive: Latitude conducted an exploratory Qualitative deep dive, where 21 participants were asked to define the role that news plays in their life and to explore the potential mindsets that are unique to news viewing.
- Phase 2: Quant Survey: a national online quantitative survey with over 1,500 people which further defined and validated the dimensions of the news mindset was conducted. The online survey included Lumiere viewing where participants were asked in real time to compare their reactions to news versus Non-news content.
- Phase 3: Insight Reel: Latitude produced an illustrative qualitative video that focused on bringing to life the findings from the first two phases of the study.
- The lean-in, action oriented mindset of the news viewer, uncovered that news is a prime space for advertisers – as viewers are more alert and more personally invested in news content.
- Press release.
- Press placements in MediaPost and CNBC.
- A full-page infographic.